Follow Us on Facebook!!!

Monday, June 25, 2012

Extreme Aqua Aerobics: Not your Grandmother's workout!!

Today I participated in my first Aqua Aerobic class. Referred by my weightlifting teacher due to progressive joint issues I have had since my mid 20’s; she stated it’s pretty aggressive and I would be surprised… hmm… I thought… we will see…

Well let me tell you I was shock this was not your Grandmother’s normal workout; who knew how hard it would be to run in the water!!!!  Yolanda’s class incorporated cardio runs, kickboxing, triceps, biceps, glutes, quads, abdominal, everything! But most importantly it provided more resistance with lower impact. I’m sure with consistent attendance (and eating right) I will see results. I loved the class and can’t wait to take it again!

To learn more about the new look of Aqua Aerobics check out some of the sites below. Try a class for yourself and let me know what you think.

Note: find a class that states it will incorporate the activities you desire (Kickboxing, Zumba, resistance training, step, etc.) otherwise you may find yourself in a more traditional class 8-/

Main Benefits of:
·         High resistance, with low impact (the key is to submerge the area you are working in the water – there were times I was submerged from the neck down!)

·         Experts say that water aerobics is a less straining way to lose weight when compared to most other exercises. An hour of water aerobics can burn 402 calories for someone weighing 160 pounds, 501 calories for 200 pounds, and 600 calories for a 240-pound person.

·         Improved cardiovascular conditioning is one of the main health benefits of water aerobics. It helps increase the level of HDL (good) cholesterol and improve blood circulation. Compared to other land sports like cycling or running, the heart rate remains steady while working out in water.

Why it works:
Being submerged in water creates immediate resistance, because water is denser than air. You get 10 times more resistance than a normal workout outside of water!

Try it yourself:
Check out these series of instructional exercises:



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these info! It's true that this kind of workout brings some good benefits, not only physically but psychologically as well. It's because of the fun that you'd get playing with the water. In short, it's another form of relieving stress.

    Celia @LaJollaSportsClub.com

    ReplyDelete